Oven-Baked Harissa Chicken Skewers
with Lemon Dill Crema
a dinner recipe
Vanya is a self-taught home cook and baker who draws inspiration from all facets of life - from coming up with simple but nutritional dishes for her young picky eaters, to planning elaborate meals for entertaining and fancy dinner parties. She has an Eastern European background but has spent most of her adult years in the US where she’s gotten exposed to a plethora of international cuisines. Much of her daily cooking goes back to childhood favorites, but the self-proclaimed foodie in her loves perfecting dishes from all around the world. She always strives to learn new techniques and experiment with new spices and ingredients and enjoys creating recipes for her Instagram (@my_gourmet_home
) and blog (www.mygourmethome.com
These oven-baked harissa chicken skewers provide a convenient and flavorful alternative to grilling, offering tender marinated chicken with a delicious roasted finish.
TIME (ACTIVE) | 40 M
TIME (INACTIVE) | 30 M
TOTAL | 1 H 10 M
| 1 skewer
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut up the chicken thighs into bite-sized pieces. Season with salt and pepper and a generous amount of the Balkan Medley Spice Blend. Add enough harissa paste to be able to fully coat the chicken pieces. Cover and let marinate for about 30 min (if longer, place in the fridge).
- Skew the chicken pieces tightly on the skewers. Place a metal cooking rack inside a cookie sheet. Arrange the skewers on top leaving space in between. Pour a thin layer of water to cover the bottom of the cookie sheet.
Bake for 25-30 minutes until the chicken reaches internal temperature of at least 165F.
- While the chicken cooks prepare the dill crema - mince the garlic or grate into paste. Chop up the dill. Combine both in a bowl with the mayonnaise, the juice from half a lemon and salt and pepper and mix well.
- Serve the chicken skewers with your favorite potato side or on a bed of rice, drizzled with the dill crema.
Expiry: 2-3 days in the fridge
spice blend collab
Balkan Medley is a versatile blend that can be used in a variety of dishes - from seasoning a stew, to using it as a rub for grilled meats, to sprinkling on top of appetizer dips. As its name suggests, it is inspired by the traditional cuisine found amongst the Balkan Peninsula countries - from grandma’s kitchen, to a street food vendor, to a fancy restaurant. With its herbal notes including thyme and oregano, this blend will elevate your meals and is the perfect addition to your spice cabinet.
Use this blend to make:
• Grilled chicken kebabs
• Sprinkled on top of Feta Dip
• On your morning buttered toast
This blend does not contain salt so add salt and pepper to taste.
Do not burn as it can become bitter!