Turmeric-Orange Honey Cake
with Orange Icing
a sweet treat recipe
Kimberly, a self-taught baker and food photographer, discovered her passion for both through experimentation. She wants to inspire others to enjoy baking and show that creating delicious treats is possible with patience and creativity. Her food photography showcases the beauty and joy of baking, encouraging others to try it themselves.
Traditional honey cake is reimagined with the addition of turmeric and black pepper. The warm, aromatic blend is enhanced by the vibrant orange flavors, while the orange icing adds a zesty finishing touch.
TIME (ACTIVE) | 25 M
TIME (INACTIVE) | 35 M
TOTAL | 1 H
| 1 slice
9-INCH ROUND OR SQUARE CAKE PAN
HAND MIXER OR STAND MIXER
For the cake:
For the icing:
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease a 9" round or 9" square baking pan. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, turmeric, pepper, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the orange zest and sugar. Using your fingers, rub the zest into the sugar to release the citrus oil.
- Add the butter and beat on high speed until the butter is light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, until fully combined, scraping the bowl after each addition. Mix in the honey and vanilla extract.
- Stir in the flour mixture in three additions, alternating with the buttermilk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- Scoop batter into prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes before removing the cake from the pan to cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a medium bowl add all of the icing ingredients and whisk until fully combined and no lumps of powdered sugar remain.
- Pour or brush over the cooled cake. Let the icing set before serving.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 days, or freeze without icing, well-wrapped for 3 months.
If you don't have buttermilk you can substitute an equal amount of unflavored yogurt, or make your own by adding 1 tbsp of lemon juice to 1 cup of whole milk.
For smaller cakes, the batter can be divided in a jumbo muffin pan, mini bundt pan, or mini loaf pans. Grease the chosen pan, divide batter evenly, and bake for 20-25 minutes.
Ground turmeric will impart your dish with a vibrant yellow hue; it will also imbue a mild earthy-sweet flavor with a slight edge of pepperiness. Famously found in curry spice blends.
TRY ME - SAMPLE$0.75
2.5 oz - JAR$5
2.5 oz - REFILL$4
10 oz - REFILL$14
A fine ground version of our Vietnamese black peppercorns. Complete with the same intense aroma, and flavor notes of wood. This fine grain form is perfect for table use.
TRY ME - SAMPLE$0.75
2 oz - JAR$6
2 oz - REFILL$5
8 oz - REFILL$13