Lofthouse Style Sugar Cookies
With Natural Pink Buttercream
a sweet treat recipe
Brianna Shaver is a recipe developer and food photographer currently based in the PNW. After graduating from pastry school, Brianna went on to spend the next 10 years working in bakeries and restaurants and started two small businesses in Seattle, WA. After having her first child, she left her career as a corporate pastry chef at a large tech company to prioritize the things she loves: recipe development, food photography & spending ample time with her family. When not in the kitchen you can catch her hiking up a mountain or curling up on the couch with a good book. Follow her drool worthy content on Instagram @gardenboxbaking
and TikTok @gardenboxbaking
These Lofthouse style sugar cookies are sure to bring back memories! They're super soft and topped with a smooth, naturally colored pink buttercream and sprinkles.
TIME (ACTIVE) | 30 M
TIME (INACTIVE) | 30 M
TOTAL | 1 H
| 1 large cookie
STAND MIXER OR ELECTRIC HANDHELD MIXER
- Combine the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cream of tartar and cornstarch in a bowl then whisk together and set aside. In the bowl of a stand mixer or with an electric hand mixer, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy. Mix in the egg, vanilla, and almond extract then the sour cream. Mix until combined, scraping the bowl down as needed. Add the dry mixture to the bowl and mix on low until just combined.
- Use a cookie scoop to portion the dough onto a plate and roll each cookie dough ball between your hands until smooth. Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes-1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place 6-8 cookie dough balls on a parchment lined sheet pan and gently press down into discs. Bake 9-10 minutes or until the cookies are just turning color on the bottom edge. You don’t want these cookies to brown. Set aside to cool completely.
- While the cookies bake, make the buttercream by creaming the butter until smooth. Add in the powdered sugar and beetroot powder followed by the vanilla and milk. Mix on low until it starts to come together then increase the speed to medium/high and beat until smooth and fluffy.
- Scoop a dollop of buttercream onto each cookie and spread using a small spatula. Top with rainbow sprinkles and enjoy!
Use the bottom of a class cup to press the cookies down, this will help retain their shape
Beetroot powder boasts a vibrant pink hue and a soft, almost velvety consistency which can easily dissolve or mix into various mediums making it an excellent natural food colorant. Be mindful to take steps against clumping.
TRY ME - SAMPLE$0.75
2 oz - JAR$4
2 oz - REFILL$3
8 oz - REFILL$9